According to palace insiders, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex learned through the media that they had not been invited to the pre-funeral reception.
When word spread that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle had been “uninvited” to the late Queen’s pre-funeral reception, many people were perplexed. The fact that the couple learned they were not allowed to the celebration from media reports and not from a Palace representative was even more insulting than the cancellation of their invitation. For the royals and international dignitaries, the reception served as a pre-funeral occasion.
As the event is solely for working royal members of the family, many media outlets are guessing as to why their invitation was cancelled. All of them claim that it was probably because of their revoked royal status. Meghan and Harry, on the other hand, participated in the funeral rites for the late Queen as a family that is not constrained by the royal code. A representative for King Charles III reportedly told Page Six that “the invite is for working members of the royal family alone.”
A royal insider revealed that the couple learned of their invitation to the pre-funeral event through media rumours, while another royal insider claimed that “Harry and Meghan truly got the invitation and no one has actually told them they are uninvited.” However, throughout the public mourning and other greeting events, Harry and his wife were seen being included in almost all events. Unexpectedly, Harry held Vigil on Friday alongside his brother Prince William and his dad King Charles III. This led many to believe that Harry and Meghan would be left out of many such events because they do not have the tag of working royals after their big exit from the family in 2020.